Attorney Michael W. OwensSan Diego criminal defense attorney Michael Owens focuses his practice on the area of criminal law, with particular emphasis on DUI defense. For over 25 years, he has successfully defended clients in state and local courts from charges including traffic violations, DUI, drug offenses and sex offenses. Mike is adept at defending both misdemeanors and felonies and is familiar with the intricacies of trying cases in juvenile court. He also has expertise in successfully defending gang-related charges.
For the past eight years, Mike has devoted his attention to defending clients charged with driving under the influence (DUI). As one of Southern California’s premier DUI attorneys, he has obtained favorable settlements in over 2000 cases. DUI law is constantly changing and evolving, and Mike keeps abreast of current developments by attending six to eight DUI-defense related seminars a year. Successful DUI defense often requires a thorough understanding of the science and technology utilized in field sobriety and chemical testing; Mike has completed both the student and instructor courses on these subjects, and is a Field Sobriety Test Instructor for the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
Mike attained both his Bachelor of Science in Laws and his Juris Doctor degree from Thomas Jefferson School of Law (previously known as Western State University College of Law) in San Diego, California. He is admitted to practice in the State of California.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, National College for DUI Defense (NCDD)
- Life Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Member, California DUI Lawyers Association
- Member, California Attorneys for Criminal Justice (CACJ)
- Member, California Public Defenders Association (CPDA)
- Field Sobriety Test Instructor, International Association of Chiefs of Police
Representative Seminars and Training
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) training: DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- NHTSA training: DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing, Instructor’s Course
- NACDL seminar: DWI Means Defend with Ingenuity
- CACJ seminar: “Rules of the Road”
- NCDD Seminar: Mastering Scientific Evidence in DUI Cases